A Weekend Getaway to the Bluegrass

Oct 29, 2013

I spent last weekend in Kentucky with two of the greatest gals of all time.
We laughed hysterically 99% of the time, and enjoyed plenty of great food, horses, gorgeous fall foliage, and only a little booze the other 1% of the time.
Kentucky was gorgeous.
For some reason I particularly loved the fences surrounding the horse fields.
The flight in blew away all my expectations.
The airport was surrounded by fields of rolling hills lined with trees covered in golden leaves.
They were everywhere and so darn cute.
Friday night we caught up over drinks and stuffed our faces at Village Idiot.
Saturday morning I woke up to the sweetest, cuddliest pup Ringo, Nicole's golden doodle.
Wasn't his jockey outfit the greatest?
We spent Saturday enjoying the horse races at Keeneland.
It was a bit chilly (thanks for participating, sun) but we had an absolute blast!
. . . a horse race in Kentucky wouldn't be complete without some Mint Juleps.
I chose the winning horse!
. . . and won $5.75
How freaking cute is this little booger though?
The highlight of the weekend (food-wise) was brunch at Doodle.
Peach bellini with egg filled biscuits and cheesy grits.
Heaven in my mouth.
 I didn't want it to end.
Nicole took us on a lovely tour of the area and we got to see the Martin Castle.
Supposedly, it was recently renovated after being abandoned for years after a man built it to woo his woman in the 70's.
True love, eh?
Nicole also gave us a pretty fantastic tour of the UK campus as well.
We visited the local record store and then followed it up with a few drinks and tacos on the patio at The Local Taco.
Again, such great food.
The company was even better though.
Nicole and Ringo were such wonderful hostesses.
I'm so thankful to have made such great friends and appreciative of the great time they showed us.
. . . now I can't wait to show them around Dallas, and for Ringo to meet Sir Charles.
They are [fraternal] twins separated at birth I tell ya.


Leah said...

So glad you enjoyed My Old Kentucky Home! :)

Susan Joy said...

It looks like you had so much fun! Makes me want to visit there someday, and that food? Mmmmmmm...

Sue//Chevron and Lace

brooke lyn said...

ahh the bf's parents live like 15 mins from churchill so we have gone the past two thanksgivings when i went to visit them. so much fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...